Sunday, March 6, 2011

It's been a while!!!

When I named this blog, I had no clue at the number of different directions my life would take me in such a short period of time.

Since my last blog, my family has moved back to Virginia, I've become a working mom, and things have changed in more ways than I can count. Some changes are good, some...not so much. But in all of this, we're still a strong family. We're still moving blindly along a path. Someday soon, I hope to be able to look back and take a breath.

I'm working as a manager at a restaurant now. Dinner and graveyard shift is very difficult! Actually, the job itself is easy. The hard part is what it does to your family life (or lack thereof). I work over 50 hours a week and feel like I never see my family. I may be in the house, I may be present, but I'm not awake.

All 3 of the kids are growing up while I'm trying to catch up on sleep.

Jr is now 16. 16? Seriously, it feels like just yesterday that he was curling up in my lap to watch Rugrats. Now it feels like I can't get his attention to say hello. He's been driving here and there to get his learner's permit hours. Although, I remember being much more excited about driving than he seems to be. He's been able to maintain good grades so far. When did I get a 10th grader? Didn't I just take him to Kindergarten?

Z is going to school to try to catch him up on the skill sets he's falling slightly short on. I see marked improvement in him. He's following some simple direction and is starting to show signs of constructive play. I simply wish I could find his volume button. Wow, that child has some lungs!

My quiet child has been replaced with an increasingly loud and talkative little girl. M is talking so much these days that I find myself longing for her silence! Not only has she begun talking over the last 3 months, but she's nearly using full sentences. Everytime I turn around she's using a new word or phrase that surprises me. Most recently she told me that it was "Untomturble" (uncomfortable) when I changed her diaper. Can anyone say potty training?

I must say my house couldn't run nearly as smooth as it does if it weren't for MIL. She watches the kids a lot now that I'm working so many hours. Not to mention, she feeds Sr & Jr multiple times a week. I know I don't thank her enough and need to work on that.

Sr has been most affected by my new work schedule. I feel horrible sometimes about NEVER seeing him. It feels like we simply pass eachother in the hallway of life. I'm getting off work as he's leaving for work. When he's getting home, I'm headed back out. I miss him.

My new saying, "Stop counting Fridays". I'm going to live each day to it's fullest, regardless where it falls in the calendar. I need to be more proactive in getting more out of what life has to offer. There won't be enough sunny day walks and rainy day color parties when I look back and miss my kids.

Let's keep this roller coaster going!!

1 comment:

Shari said...

you rock, Laurie. I don't know how you do all you do. Remember to take care of you along the way, ok? Miss you & love you bunches.